I have a business. How will we work together?
We like to work in a proactive, strategic way that goes beyond completing your tax return after the financial year is over, and following up with a big bill.
We are always planning and thinking ahead. As each financial year is the same (minus a pandemic!), we have a customer journey that we follow – and we will show you what that is.
Each quarter we will work with you to get your BAS lodged. We will have meetings half way through the financial year to discuss tax planning and ensure you are on track to achieving your goals. We will also meet before the end of the financial year to ensure we discuss anything that may be required before the end of the financial year.
We will sign you up on a monthly direct debit agreement, that comes out each month so you know what you can expect and won’t get hit with any big bills you didn’t anticipate.
These monthly debits start from $150+gst depending on the size of your business, and the complexity involved.
What’s the process of becoming a managed business client?
- Fill in your details online here
- We will give you a quick ‘get to know you’ phone call
- We will schedule an in depth meeting
- We will send you out a proposal
- You sign, and we begin the process of moving everything over to us
- If you aren’t already on Xero, we’ll sign you up and give you some training
I haven’t started my business yet. Does that matter?
We generally help businesses that are already operational.
There are always exceptions to the rules, but we like to sink our teeth into businesses that are already operating, and then optimise and improve them.
What am I expected to do?
We don’t do bookkeeping internally, so first will we set you up with a Xero file (if you don’t have one).
- Reconcile your Xero feed
- Pay your bills
- Pay your staff members
- Pay your employee’s super
(don’t worry – this is easy to do on Xero and we will provide you with training if necessary)
What do we do for you?
We will do the big picture things such as:
- ATO compliance
- Tax planning
- Strategic thinking
I already have a bookkeeper. How does that work?
Your bookkeeper will:
Continue with the day-to-day transactions – Reconcile your Xero feed, pay your bills and staff members etc
Do the big picture things such as BAS, tax returns, tax planning and strategic meetings.
If your bookkeeper usually prepares your BAS and they would like to continue this, we still will review this and lodge it for you.
The good thing about us reviewing the BAS is that we may pick up on things that have been reconciled incorrectly and ensure GST has been applied correctly. This also means that you receive our agent due date extensions, which means you have longer to pay your BAS to the ATO (if you need to pay).
We will work in partnership with your bookkeeper to make things as seamless for you as possible.
We will still send final documents to the Director or Business Owner for electronic signatures.
What is your BAS process?
At the start of each quarter we will:
- Send you a general email telling you it’s time to start the BAS process and asking if your Xero is reconciled and ready to begin. If you don’t respond we will send you another 2 email reminders before we start hounding you.
- You reply ‘yes’ you are ready.
- We will begin working on your BAS internally both to complete and review, and generally have it ready for your email review within 14 working days (subject to all the information being provided).
- You review and electronically sign to approve.
- We lodge with the ATO.
I’m on MYOB. Is that ok?
No, we only work with Xero as we find it a superior platform that is much more user friendly.
However we can help you migrate over to Xero, and provide some training to get you started. Some more information about how we’ll move you over to Xero and why can be found here.
I’m on Quickbooks. Is that ok?
Eew. But seriously, we can help you migrate over to Xero with training.
Why do you charge a fee for initial consultations?
We like to make sure that you are serious about your business.
We charge a fee for initial consultations because we will take a deep dive into your business and your ideas. We will ask some big questions, and give some personalised advice for moving forward.
Our discovery meetings are generally charged at $350+gst.
If you go ahead with us after this meeting, this welcome fee fee will be credited against your first invoice.
What’s the process for changing Accountants?
- You have a meeting with us, get sent a proposal and happily sign it.
- We will ask for your Xero file access and/or previous financials to see how your business is operating.
- We send an ethical clearance to your current accountant.
- They send us any paperwork they have.
- Depending on where it is in the financial year, we may ask that you wait until a certain return or quarter is finished.
- We will swap you over to our systems and ATO list, and start doing what’s needed, keeping you in the loop.
I don’t have a business, I’m only interested in a tax return.
We are currently not taking on new non-business clients for individual tax returns.
Do you send things in the mail?
Absolutely not, everything is paperless with us. We send documents for electronic signatures.
We also do lots of meetings over Zoom if this is easier to fit into your schedule than a face-to-face meeting. (covid update: all meetings are over Zoom/phone at the moment)
Who will I be dealing with in your team?
We have 6 staff members and at some stage you will deal with most of them.
Ellen is your initial point of contact that you will speak to when you contact our office; David, Daniel and Abby are our rock star Accountants, and if you have any queries you will ask them. Tegan creates our communications across our email newsletter, website and social media. As for the strategic business meetings and implementation stuff, that is where Shaun fits in to things.
I’d like to schedule a meeting to see if we are a good fit for each other
Fantastic, please click here and fill in your details and we will give you a call back.
I’d like to give some feedback
Everyone could use a bit of feedback. Love what we’re doing, or think we could do better? We’d love to hear about it. Click here to have your say.